We are living in a fast paced world, and when pushed for time many of us turn to a protein bar as a meal replacement or snack.
Whatever your reason for choosing a protein bar is, it’s important that you choose wisely.
Not all protein bars are made the same way and while some will help you reach your muscle building and fat loss goals, an equal number will detour you down the other pathway.
However before munching down on a bar make sure to take the following points into consideration or else you may end up eating a bar high in sugar, preservatives and low protein content. By understanding these six key factors you should be looking for in a protein bar, you will be able to make the best decision possible.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Type of protein – Look for bars using whey protein, because it is easy for the body to process. A blend of different proteins is also good for you because the combination provides various amino acids. The bottom line is that whey is a complete protein with a very high BV and this means it contains all the essential and nonessential amino acids and boasts the highest branched-chain amino acid content found in nature.
- Amount of carbs and sugar – Some protein bars have high amounts of sugar, which can be unhealthy. The protein content should be higher than the sugar content, and there should be no more than 15 grams of sugar per serving.
- Preservatives added – unfortunately most bars have preservatives in them for shelf-life. If possible try and get a bar that is preservative free – this ensures freshness and fewer intakes of artificial ingredients.
- Carb to protein ratio – The best scenario for fat loss will be a 2:1 ratio of protein to carbs, but in some cases a 1:1 ratio would be fine too.
- Taste – the challenge with most bars that have a high amount of protein is the so called “metallic after-taste”. It is important that you enjoy the taste & texture of your bar and with natural ingredients and high quality protein powder you should have a great tasting bar.
- Type of fat – many bars contain a high saturated fat content, you are looking for a bar that has high poly and monounsaturated fats and minimal saturated fat as these are the healthier fats to consume.
How do Easy Health Wellness Protein Bars score according to the points above?
Well, I am glad to assure that we provide:
- VERY high quality whey protein isolate bar
- Natural honey is used
- Preservative free
- Made fresh on demand
- 2 protein to 1 carb ratio
- Tastes delicious – no metallic after-taste
Protein bars are quick, convenient, and well-priced for the nutrition quality offered.
When chosen correctly they will be far better than any snack you pick up at the local supermarket or fast food restaurant, so having a couple bars that you really enjoy on hand at all times is a great back up against those times when you’re without a meal.
Do you have anything else you would like to know about protein bars? Call us or email us now.
You can also visit the clinic to taste a sample of our delicious protein bars, and order the ones that meet your needs!
Tel (012) 997 2783/ 749
Rubenstein Street, Moreleta Park, Pretoria